Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Review: Second Best

Second Best Second Best by J.O. Mantel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Rock stars and a love triangle you say I am all over this one. In this book, First Crush is it going to be Jake’s First Crush on his BF and roomie or is it going to be First Crush for Sienna when she meets, Lukas Dark after winning a contest? Mmm. That is the inquiring minds question.
We meet Sienna and Jake who have been friends for over 20 years and are roomies too. Jake’s feelings for Sienna are becoming harder to hide and become even harder when Sienna’s fantasy of meeting Lukas becomes a reality. Does he ruin a friendship and tell her his feeling or should he keep quiet? I actually feel for Jake the most in this story. Lukas, for being a Rockstar you are really mellow and easy going. Jake is an up and coming Rockstar and Lukas is one of the hottest acts out right now so not only does Jake have to fight for Sienna to make her see he’s the one, he has to perform with Dark Falkon.
We meet Ivy, Sienna’s friend and Dick (sorry I still don’t understand while people named Richard what to be called this), I couldn’t help but laugh each time he would say, “Just call me Dick!” Why, I would hate that name. LOL I love how the story gives us a side of Ivy’s story as well. The story is told in third person and while that is OK, others may feel that this being told in 3 POV’s would be better. I liked it and can’t wait for book two. Wow!! That ending, wth!! Jaws will drop, you have been warned. So, the question is are you going to be a “Lighting Ridge Fan” or “Dark Falkon Fan”?? That’s a tough one cause I’m a little torn still.

I love how this book picks up right where it left off, and it even gives you a little blurb on the ending in book one in case you didn’t be one of the lucky ones to read it back to back. I was lucky enough to get to read book one and two back to back, but BOY should I have waited for book three. WTH!!! I knew to expect a cliffy, but double OO I knew it and inquiring minds want to know which one is it?? I need book three now and still a few more days until it releases. Uhhh!!
Jake is Second Best to Sienna now that she is with Lukas. His feelings are still as strong as ever and I truly believe he does love her and it is not just a love of a friend. These two have some major hurdles to overcome, but if they can overcome these even if it is as friends, it is worth it (though my heart still breaks for Jake). Sienna becomes what she believes to be Second Best to Jake when he decides to move on the best way he can and develops a friendship with Ronnie. While he knows it will be strictly friends, does Ronnie know this and will she accept this? We shall see. He spends a lot of time with his band now that they are becoming more popular and with Ronnie. Jealousy spirals with Sienna cause she is lonely with Lukas busy with his band, Ivy with Dick and Jake with his band and Ronnie. All I can say is, “Sienna, now you know how Jake feels though!” It isn’t easy. Wow! Did we get a little action in this book and I was like wowzer, just sad that it had to happen on Jake’s BD.
Lukas, I like you, but there is something that still sits in the back of my mind with you. Why has the family not been introduced on the one side if you are serious about Sienna? Oh, and how the heck did Sienna not meet your band at the award show and their first introduction was almost a year later. That was puzzling. It’s almost like you hide the relationship and then don’t at contrasting times. I will figure you out yet. For being a man, you really are mellow when Sienna throws some things at you. I know your good for Sienna, but there is still a part of me that yearns for Jake to end up with her. This book is a roller coaster of emotions for all involved and is only going to get more emotional in book three. We see the growth of the author as well since the writing of book one was the first book written. I know we will see even more in the final installment of this story, but please don’t break my heart! There is something that I wish I could say, but I can’t as it would give it away so I am hoping I will be able to say it in my review of book three. I love that we get to see a continuing story of Ivy as well. Can’t wait to read the final book!!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment